There is so much to think about when your baby starts to crawl and walk. A mobile little one can be a joy and nerve wracking at the same time. Look at some quick checks for your home to ensure your little one can be free to explore and be safe!
- Keep electronic equipment like DVRs, DVD players, game consoles, mobile devices, and stereos out of reach or locked up. Store remotes where prying fingers can't get to batteries.
Electrical outlets, cords, and appliances
- Put safety plugs or outlet covers over unused outlets.
- Hide electrical cords behind furniture, or use a hide-a-cord device.
- Use doorstops and door holders to protect fingers.
- Buy cordless window coverings if you can.
- Cut off or tie up cords on drapes and blinds, use cord shorteners or wind-ups, or replace a cord loop with a safety tassel.
- Mark sliding doors and other expanses of glass with colorful stickers.
- Don't depend on screens to prevent falls. Install window guards (though be sure they're easy for an adult to remove in case there's a fire).
- Install window stops so windows can't be opened more than 4 inches.
- Move furniture away from windows.